Dreaming in Tennessee

Anecdotes, general musings, and registered work from a wannabe.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

What the Hell is Going On?

I read cnn.com at work everyday to keep up, because I generally don't have time for the evening news. Today, an article appeared about young teens playing "The Choking Game." Apparently, they like the sensation of choking themselves until they pass out. (The article doesn't mention the origins of the game, but I'm sure we all know where this came from.) I am deeply concerned about the state of our youth in this country. This game is only the latest in a series of incidents/trends occuring to young teens.

One of my favorite movies of all time is Fight Club. I take a lot of flack from fellow scribes for loving a movie that so obviously violates the "rules" of filmmaking. But my admiration for this movie has nothing whatsoever to do with the twist ending. & I suspect that many teens who were drawn to it would say the same thing. Fight Club is a great movie because it so completely illustrates some of the unspoken truths (themes) that many of us feel at one time or another: we work jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need, our lives are ending one moment at a time, it's not until we lose everything that we are free to do anything, the things we own end up owning us, we are filled with near-life experiences, and we must hurt ourselves to "feel" something, anything.

It is for the last truth that teens play the Choking Game, cut themselves, take dangerous road curves at 55 mph, etc. . . The only way this is going to stop is if we adults stop treating the symptoms & start healing the disease. But, of course, first we have to realize that these games are the symptoms.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Moviequill said...

in All My Children one of the characters was involved in a fight club, interesting...

6:21 AM  
Anonymous The Constipated Writer said...

I love Fight Club. To me, it signifies the fatherless 80's child grown up without a home. I'm one of them, and I can tell you alot of the book and film resonated with me for a long time. It speaks for a generation, but is entertaining to anyone.

12:05 PM  
Blogger John Donald Carlucci said...

We would hold our breath until we got dizzy when I was a kid.

Fight Club took me a while to get into and I still don't know how I feel about it. I enjoy it, but I'm not sure why. It is one of the few I don't own, so I haven't studied it too much.

JDC

7:44 PM  
Blogger The Moviequill said...

what is wild is that author Chuck Pahliniuk used to go out at night under the assumed name of Nick and actually get into fights...knowing part of that movie is based on fact is, well, wacked

5:39 AM  
Blogger TN_Dreamer said...

JD, yes, it does speak for us, doesn't it? I know several people who could not watch it bc of the violence, but not one person (in our generation) who didn't understand the messages.

JDC, I'd suggest reading the book. Its much more introspective & has a different endiing, so you may like it a lot more.

Moviequill, he spent years researching his book before he finally wrote it. I respect that so much.

6:11 AM  
Blogger John Donald Carlucci said...

He came into the bookstore I worked at in LA and I ended up with a signed collection of all his works - I just haven't read them yet. Man, who has time to really read anymore? I feel guilty if I'm not writing.

JDC

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home