Dreaming in Tennessee

Anecdotes, general musings, and registered work from a wannabe.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Thursday, August 11, 2005

TennScreen

I attended my first screenwriting group last night. (If you've read prev posts, I said that I would go two weeks ago. The first week I chickened out. The second I forgot. Or maybe I chickened out the second week also, & now I'm just kidding myself. Oh, well. I went last night. That's the important part.) The group is called the Tennessee Screenwriting Association. They're non-profit, staffed by volunteers, and they allow 3 people each week to talk about their scripts. You can choose to read a treatment, have others cold read your script, or just pitch some ideas.

Last night, two went through synopses & a tandem had their first 14 pages cold read. The first synopsis was by the president Bob Giordano. He said he was about 60 pages into his script, but I could tell that he had fully worked out the finer points of his story. He understood all of the character's goals and motivations. & although he opened it up for anyone to pick it apart, not one person could really find a flaw. The next two presents didn't go so well. I won't go into it bc that would be rude, but I bring it up bc this group offers something all writers need: other writers to call bullshit.

So, I'm going to join. It's only $25/yr. & after joining & waiting for my turn, I'll be able to present my own ideas. All I want is someone to call shit, shit, & this group has that kind of truth.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Awful Writer said...

Aw come on, be rude. Please! Ok maybe not rude, but can you describe in general what went wrong for them. A guiding principle I try to live by is: It's better to learn from other people's mistakes than to learn from your own. So I'm really curious what sort of mistakes they made.

11:32 AM  
Blogger The Moviequill said...

our group meet once/month but I wish it was twice..we read ten pages of a work in progress (I have been the only one bringing pages lately), discuss any films we have recently seen, gossip, contests, etc...more of a coffee group but still better than nothing, good for you to join

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home