Dreaming in Tennessee

Anecdotes, general musings, and registered work from a wannabe.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

Friday, August 05, 2005

Starting Over, Again

I've been discussing my screenplay issues with Greg, my writer friend here in Nashville, & I've decided to take a break from this spec. No, I'm not quitting screenwriting. I think I might be too close to my treatment to look at it subjectively. My actual screenplay has deviated from it & I'm not entirely sure which is the better choice. & it's possible that either I didn't spend enough quality time working on my treatment to make it effective or my lack of ability in actually writing a screenplay is becoming apparent.

To, hopefully, disprove the latter option, I'm going to write a short screenplay. For some time, I've wanted to turn one of my short stories into a short screenplay & I'm going to take the time to do it now. I have no idea how long this will take since my short story is only 6 pages & I'm actually planning on taking it from a different beginning to explain some of the internal struggle of the protagonist. As soon as I'm done with it, I'll register it & post it here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Fun Joel said...

Best of luck with that! I'd recommend giving some thought to the different nature of a short from a feature. If you watch some good short films you'll realize they are not "just shorter versons of features" but ratehr tell different kinds of stories in different ways.

6:58 AM  
Blogger TN_Dreamer said...

Thanks, Fun Joel. I spent yesterday at work checking out some short screeplays on the web (hope no one noticed). From what I've read, I'm pretty sure the short story could never have been changed into a feature & would only work as a short. I think today I'll watch a couple (again hoping no one notices).

7:25 AM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Yeah, one thing I notice is that shorts are MUCH bigger on the clever twist ending than are features. At least the best shorts. I've seen some masterful ones that are entertaining throughout, but the whole point is really the one twist ending. And since they are shrt, they require less to sustain interest until that ending, as opposed to crappy movie that hope their "clever" twist ending is enough to support the whole film.

I see dead movies. ;-)

9:28 PM  
Blogger TN_Dreamer said...

lol, & I agree the best shorts have some kind of twist, just like the best short stories do. not that it has to be an "aha, gotcha" twist like Sixth Sense/Fight Club, just a twist that serves to fully explain the characters involed. In fact, I think that's another necessary component to a good short: fully realized characters. In many fetures (especially action-adventures/RomComs) you can usually get away with blase characters, but not in a short.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home